arts iu cinema

Glenn Close introduces ‘The Big Chill’ at IU Cinema

Actress Glenn Close made an appearance at IU Cinema Monday night to introduce her 1983 movie “The Big Chill,” which screened as part of the film series for the College of Arts and Sciences’ Themester 2013, “Connectedness: Networks in a Complex World.”

“She is an inspired choice, having spent much of her life exploring the landscape of connectedness on the stage and on the screen,” said Larry Singell, executive dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Tickets to the screening were free, but attendees had to reserve them in advance before they ran out. A standby line was available to fill remaining seats before the movie started.

IU Cinema screened two additional Close films, the 1988 historical drama “Dangerous Liaisons” and the 2011 drama “Albert Nobbs,” last weekend in honor of her visit.

In addition, Close will speak about her organization Bring Change 2 Mind, which works to end the stigma and discrimination surrounding mental illness. Her lecture, entitled “Ending Stigma, Changing Minds and Saving Lives through Mental Health Advocacy,” will take place at 3 p.m. today at the Whittenberger Auditorium.

During her introduction to “The Big Chill,” Close discussed the process of making the film as well as her thoughts on connectedness.

When filming “The Big Chill,” director Lawrence Kasdan required the entire cast to always come to the set, whether they were working or not.

“He wanted everybody always together,” Close said. “I think he was trying to form this great feeling of friendship. By the time we actually started doing the film, we had spent a lot of time together, and I think it really paid off.”

Close, a six-time Academy Award nominee, said she came to an important realization while filming the movie.

“It was in ‘The Big Chill’ that I started to realize how powerful thought is in film,” she said. “It really was a very important step for me in my training about my craft.”

Cast members from the movie recently gathered in Toronto to celebrate the film’s 30th anniversary, and Close said she the connections they formed three decades ago are still present today.

“I have to say, the connectedness that we created all those years ago making this film is just as strong today as it was back then,” she said. “When you go through such an important communal, challenging experience together, one of the great gifts of my profession is that it can create friends that last for your whole life.”

Follow reporter Rachel Osman on Twitter @rachosman.