arts exhibits

Wonderlab showcases ‘Nature’s Vampires’ exhibit

Wonderlab’s latest mini-exhibition, “Nature’s Vampires,” explores the habits of bed bugs with live, magnified views and interactive, touch-screen games, allowing visitors to learn where the creatures would most likely be tucked away.

Louise Schlesinger, Wonderlab’s marketing director, said the exhibit provides museum-goers with valuable information on how to prevent and treat bed bug
infestations.

“There are multiple stops to learn and interact with it,” Schlesinger said. “We also have a video kiosk, which has an interesting video about how dogs sniff out bed bugs. We also just have some background information on them and their adaptations and why they are blood-sucking creatures.”

Even though treating bed bug outbreaks is vital, Wonderlab’s Karen Jepson-Innes, associate executive director of exhibits and programs, said people should seek out more information about bed bugs before responding with fear.

Jepson-Innes said she believes taking a closer look at the animals with tools like microscopes forms an appreciation for their biological adaptation.

“There is a lot of fear associated with this very small insect and as a science museum, it’s important to give information about the biology of this creature and the best way to intervene so families cannot panic and not have so much of a fearful response, but a response based on knowledge,” Jepson-Innes said.

Jepson-Innes also said because of these uneducated reactions to the creatures, harsh chemicals are often used against them, which she finds unnecessary.

“Bed bugs are attracted to carbon dioxide, so you can make a simple trap using a bit of dry ice,” Jepson-Innes said. “It’s much better to try that and avoid the use of chemicals. A lot of people want to resort to using chemical warfare immediately as a fear response, and often that sort of reaction can be more harmful than the insects themselves.”

She said she believes Wonderlab visitors will gain extensive knowledge by taking the time to explore the background of bed bugs and how to properly dispose of them.

“From a biological perspective, they are very fascinating creatures,” Jepson-Innes said. “They’re very well-adapted to do what they do and they have a very interesting natural history.”

Follow reporter Olivia Williams on Twitter @obwillia.