arts jacobs school of music

Verdy receives President’s Medal of Excellence award

Jacobs School of Music Distinguished Professor Violette Verdy was honored by IU President Michael McRobbie Saturday with the President’s Medal of Excellence.

Verdy was awarded the medal in honor of the recent ballet for the IU Opera & Ballet Theater, “Classical Europe: Celebrating Violette.” Verdy choreographed one of the three dances in the piece.

Verdy said she was overwhelmed by the honor, something she said she never
expected.

“I would like to think that it is not just for me, but for everyone involved in our department — the chair, the teachers, the pianists and all our beautiful and talented young students,” Verdy said in a press release.

The President’s Medal of Honor is the highest honor for an IU professor. It recognizes professors and their contributions to public service, work with IU and commitment to the arts, humanities, sciences, education and industry.

McRobbie said in a press release that Verdy’s contributions to IU have proven enough over the years to warrant her receiving this award.

“Violette is one of the greatest ballerinas from an era of great dancers and choreographers, and she is an Indiana University treasure,” he said. “Her remarkable achievements as a dancer and choreographer have garnered her international acclaim and several of the highest honors in her field, and she is equally renowned for her dedication to training future generations of dancers.”

Verdy has taught at IU since 1996, and was appointed to distinguished professor in 2005.

— Carolyn Crowcroft