Upcoming shows in Bloomington

Bloomington has a slew of upcoming shows featuring bands of all styles and genres, with artists hailing from as close as the Hoosier state to as far away as Dublin, Ireland.

The Bluebird Nightclub
Thursday, Oct. 16
9 p.m. (21+)

Little Green Cars, an indie rock band from Dublin, Ireland, can trace its roots back to a former band, the Revolts, founded in the mid-2000s.

Since signing professionally, the band has toured the U.S. and the U.K. progressively, releasing three singles and supporting singer-songwriter Jake Bugg on his European tour.

The U.S. leg of the 2013 tour included a performance of their single “Harper Lee” on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.”

The band has played at the 2013 South By Southwest music festival in Austin, Texas, Coachella, Lollapalooza and Osheaga festival in Montréal.

The Bishop Bar
Friday, Oct. 17
9:30 p.m. (18+)

Punk group the Spits returns to the Bishop with a set from their highly-anticipated, self-titled fifth album.

According to the Bishop’s website, the group has a way of balancing ingrained punk practices and the ability to influence the crowd.

“Possibly one of the only modern bands to have several of their songs being covered by their contemporaries, The Spits have already done so much, but still have so much more to come, as they continue to influence anyone with a penchant for irresistible punk music, played like there’s nothing to lose,” the website said.

Rachael’s Café
Wednesday, Oct. 23
7:30 p.m. (All ages)

Hailing from Minneapolis is Zoo Animal, a minimalist grunge pop group founded in 2008 with influences such as Patti Smith, the Velvet Underground and Nirvana.

In a 2012 article from the Minneapolis City Pages by Jeff Gage, songwriter and Zoo Animal member Holly Newsom is interviewed on Zoo Animal’s latest EP, “Departure.”

“The tireless songwriter has responded with an excellent new EP, Departure, a record she claims she didn’t think would go over well because it’s such a change of pace from her previous work,” Gage said. “Now, as Newsom gets ready to take those new songs on the road, she’s learned to a juggle a shifting lineup of musicians.”

Follow reporter Olivia Williams on Twitter @obwillia.