student life

Rec Sports to offer freshman basketball league

For the first time, freshmen will have reserved spots to play in an intramural basketball league specifically for first-year students.

Campus Recreational Sports is offering the intramural basketball league as a way to help freshmen get used to campus and meet new people while playing the sport, Director of Recreational Sports Kathy Bayless said.

Prior to this year, the Recreational Sports fall basketball league was offered only as a preseason league.

It existed to prepare players for the all-ages, spring basketball intramural tournament, Bayless said.

Senior Student Recreational Sports Association Vice President Devin Jacobs said the SRSA listened to student input and then decided to offer the league.

“Intramurals are hard to get into for some freshmen,” Jacobs said. “We were approached by administration, freshmen and residence halls about implementing something for freshmen.”

Basketball is Recreational Sports’ most popular intramural sport.

The association decided this was the best sport to use as a pilot program or test for a freshmen intramural league, Jacobs said.

McNutt Quad Residence Manager Jocelyn Maul said she has seen how hard it is for freshmen to get out and meet others.

“It’s always a challenge to get them out of their warm comfort zone,” Maul said. “The best thing to get freshmen connected with other freshmen is through intramurals.”

Freshman Kelsey Mills, who played basketball in high school, said she is excited about the league.

“I am looking forward to meeting new people,” Mills said.

Registration to play on the men’s, women’s or co-ed team began this week and will continue until Nov. 5.

Teams and individuals can sign up at the WIC or the SRSC.

Each team needs five to 10 players and a distinctive team name.

Each team must also pay a $35 registration fee before playing in the intramural league.

At least one team representative must attend a “captain’s meeting” on Nov.  5 at 8 p.m. in the School of Public Health.

Individual players can register for $5 to be placed on a team.

A number of freshmen have already chosen to participate in the league, Jacobs said.

Freshmen will get the experience of playing on the hardwood at the Ora L. Wildermuth Intramural Center.

“I believe the league will open up other opportunities for freshmen,” Mills said.

Once the season comes to an end, teams with no forfeited games and a 3.0 sportsmanship rating will be eligible for the single elimination championship tournament, Bayless said.

Teams will play a two game round robin, followed by a single elimination tournament.

“I want the league to be the first step in getting students connected to the University,” Maul said.