academics & research

New committee to improve health of University staff

The health of IU employees needs improving, and plans are underway to make that happen.

Experts in health formed the new Wellness Steering Committee, which plans to offer resources and incentives that will make a healthier IU staff, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer MaryFrances McCourt said in a release.

“Through this initiative, we’re seeking to give employees new resources and incentives to take greater control over their personal health and the costs associated with health care,” McCourt said.

IU will spend $230 million to provide health care to its employees this fiscal year, Mark Land, associate vice president of IU Communications, said.

As the employee population gets healthier, the costs should decrease, McCourt said.
After winter break, the committee will offer proposals on the programs they will offer, Land said.

Incentives could include discounts at fitness centers and health workshops.
“The goal is to give our folks as many tools as possible for the least amount of money,” he said.

President Michael McRobbie has already pledged to fund the program out of “existing related reserves,” McCourt said. She said money will not come out of student tuition.
The Fairbanks School of Public Health and the IU School of Public Health will also contribute funding and research.

“We’re using their expertise,” Land said. “They’re excited about this, and I know they want to contribute.”

Follow reporter Ashley Jenkins on Twitter @ashmorganj.