Music producer to visit campus for lecture series

Music producer Amir Windom will visit IU as part of a fall Diversity Lecture Series  titled “Going from Success to SIGNIFICANCE.”

The newly created  Diversity Inclusion and Advocacy Office of the IU Student Association is organizing Windom’s visit.

Windom has worked with record labels such as Atlantic Records, Def Jam Records and Bad Boy Records.

On Wednesday, Windom will visit the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center’s Midday House Party to chat with students about his experiences in the music industry and give tips on how to be successful.

At 8 p.m. Wednesday, Windom will judge a musical talent show at Willkie Auditorium. The winners will receive a recording session with Windom.

A lecture and question and answer session will take place at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Whittenberger Auditorium at the Indiana Memorial Union.

Senior Leighton Johnson, director of the IUSA Diversity Inclusion and Advocacy
Office, has formed partnerships with multiple organizations on campus including the Black Student Union, Union Board and Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs with the African American Arts Institute.

Senior Emma Campbell, president of the Black Student Union, said the collaboration with IUSA began in May, when it was decided that the series would take place. She said Windom was an easy choice to invite as a lecturer.

Johnson said he hopes to reach all types of students interested in achieving success in business careers.

“This speaker would resonate with non-white students and white students alike as an African-American male who has reached that success,” he said.

He said the lecture is also about opening the minds of students to different cultures.
“We want people to come from the series thinking about how they benefit from being inclusive and being around people of different cultures and different ethnicities,” Johnson said.

Follow reporter Holly Hays on Twitter @hv_hays.