Los Angeles band Orgone to perform at the Bishop

Orgone, a Los Angeles band dedicated to “heavy, raw, adrenaline-fueled funk and sweat-dripping soul,” according to the Bishop’s website, will perform at 9 p.m. at the
Bishop.

The group, which formed in 1999, is a back-up band that has made appearances on the 2011 Grammy-winning Cee Lo Green track, “Fool For You,” and on Alicia Keys’ “Teenage Love Affair” and “Wreckless Love.”

In 2002 the group released a self-titled collection of instrumentals.

The band’s website highlights a review from Relix Magazine, which calls the collection “intoxicating.”

When not recording, the eight-member band spends much of its year touring.

In 2011, the band racked up 288 shows alone at major festivals such as South By Southwest, New Orleans JazzFest and Bonnaroo. 

In a 2009 review, Samuel Martinof www.jambands.com said the group is known for its strong, energetic presence and soulful melodies and vocals.

“No matter how you feel about getting down at a show, this is one of the best funk bands around today,” Martin wrote.

“One that will easily help you get your feet wet, as their music doesn’t just splash you with rhythm and soul, it throws you into the pool, from the first bass rifts to the last hurrah, like it or love it.”

Writer Eric Arnold with bimonthly music magazine and podcast site XLR8R also gave a positive review of Orgone’s sound.

“Sounding much like a cross between the Dap-Kings and Breakestra, L.A.’s Orgone keeps the hotness of the recent retro-soul revival coming,” Arnold said.

“As befits the band’s name, Orgone’s sound is quite organic, rooted in soul, funk, boogaloo and jazz, with a classic appeal that’s nevertheless contemporary. If smooth, soulful funk with jazzy arrangements makes you sweat, you just found your new favorite band.”

— Olivia Williams