academics & research student life

Law school fair to attract hundreds of grad schools

Today’s Law Day is set to attract representatives from more than 115 law schools from across the country to recruit students. 

IU Bloomington’s Law Day claims to be the nation’s largest law school fair for nine  consecutive years.

Students interested in attending law school can attend the event to receive information and speak with law school admission representatives, according to a press release.

The law fair will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union.

“Students at IU-Bloomington are incredibly fortunate to be able to take advantage of the fact that more of the nation’s finest law schools come to Bloomington than to any other university in the country,” Mac Francis, pre-law adviser and director of the Health Professions and Prelaw Center, said in the release. 

Law Day is sponsored by the Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors and is part of its 2013 Caravan series.

Each year the association organizes a law school caravan that travels to select Big Ten universities.

This year’s Big Ten caravan stops include IU, the University of Wisconsin, the University of Illinois and Ohio State University, said Frank Motley, assistant dean of admissions at the IU Maurer School of Law. 

Motley said this is an opportunity for students to meet face-to-face with law schools’ representatives. 

Motley will represent the IU Maurer School of Law at the other caravan stops.

Representatives from the Indiana Conference for Legal Education Opportunity will also be available at Law Day.

I-CLEO is an Indiana program that assists students from populations underrepresented in the legal profession who are interested in attending law school and pursuing a legal career. 

I-CLEO programs include stipends and preparatory institutes for eligible students.

Students may also attend a panel discussion from 9 to 10:45 a.m. today at the Whittenberger Auditorium in the IMU, where they will learn how to give their law school applications a competitive edge, according to the release.

HPPLC estimates there are about 4,000 students from more than 53 majors at IU who are interested in attending law school as graduate students.

Last year’s Law Day attracted 567 attendees, according to the release.

Francis said IU students will benefit from the fair as they learn about schools they might not have considered before.

He said it is a chance for students to make “that all-important personal connection to the school’s representative.”

“Other college students simply do not have this invaluable opportunity to see what so many schools have to offer,” Francis said.

— Rachel Rapp