IU loses shootout to Michigan 63-47

ANN ARBOR, MICH. -- In an offensive shootout, Michigan defeated IU 63-47 Saturday night at Michigan Stadium. The two teams combined for 110 points, 1,323 yards and 63 first downs.

The 110 combined points was tied for third most in a Big Ten game.

Many records were set in the offensive expose as the scoring started heating up in the third quarter. IU (3-4, 1-2) outscored Michigan (6-1, 2-1) in the quarter 23-14.

IU sophomore quarterback Tre Roberson took over for sophomore quarterback Nate Sudfeld, and was 16-23 for 288 yards and three touchdowns. The two quarterbacks combined for 410 passing yards and four touchdowns, and two costly interceptions.

However, it wasn’t enough to stop the Michigan offense, which accumulated 751 total yards.

Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner was 21-29 for 503 yards and two touchdowns. The Detroit native also ran for 81 yards and three rushing touchdowns.

Gardner’s 584 total yards was the second most in Big Ten history and the most IU had ever given up to an opponent.

The player of the game was Michigan wide receiver Jeremy Gallon. He had 14 catches for 369 yards and two touchdowns. The 369 yards was a Michigan record as well as a record for most opponent receiving yards against IU.

The running game was effective as well for the Wolverines. They had 248 rushing yards, with running back Fitzgerald Toussaint accounting for 151 yards and four touchdowns.

After a bye week, IU will return home to play Minnesota on Nov. 2.