arts exhibits

IU Art Museum presents one-hour pop-up exhibition

entHoosierArt

The IU Art Museum will present an exhibition that features work from early 20th-century Indiana artists from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.

Each semester, the museum sponsors a “One-Hour Exhibition” for the school
semester.

“Each ‘One-Hour Exhibition’ highlights a different aspect of the museum’s permanent collection, demonstrating the breadth of time periods, styles, cultures and artists,” Katherine Paschal, IU’s manager of communications and public relations, said.

The gallery will display artwork by the Hoosier Group, Brown County Art Colony and the Richmond School.

Print works and drawings by classical artists, such as Gustave Baumann, L.O. Griffith and William Forsyth,  will be featured.

These pieces come in an array of different paint mediums including watercolor, palette knife, oil and acrylic, and the themes of their work center around real-life subjects like nature, humanity and wildlife.

Thoes planning to attend the exhibition will meet in the museum’s third floor office before the opening.

Even though registration for the event is not required, space is limited, and admission is on a first-come, first-serve basis.

“This one-hour exhibition is a curated drop-in print room viewing designed to showcase works of art that cannot be seen at anywhere else,” IU Art Museum Curator Nanette Brewer said.

At the exhibition, Brewer will be giving a lecture about why she picked out the specific works of each artist and how the museum was able to acquire these particular works.

She will also give a brief overview of all the artists featured and current art movements in Indiana.

“I originated these monthly programs a few years ago in order to give the public access to these behind-the-scenes treasures,” Brewer said. “I also wanted to raise awareness of the ways visitors can make appointments to see such iconic material on their own.”