student life

Hundreds of gamers gather for event

CAROUSELcaGamers

If it weren’t for the glow from hundreds of computer screens in the Monroe County Fairgrounds barn, the space would have been pitch black.

With 400 gamers seated at side-by-side tables, 26 rows deep, enough light was produced to illuminate the entire space.

IU Gaming had its annual 24-hour Local Area Network war event, also known as LAN, from noon Saturday to noon Sunday.

Hundreds of gamers brought their games, computer monitors and consoles to the fairgrounds to compete against one another in the day-long battle.

The event was so full of students and members of the Bloomington community that they were forced to start turning away walk-ins, said Chris Barr, vice president of the gaming club.

It was junior Joey Concannon’s second year at the event. He attended this year with eight of his friends to play League of Legends, among other games.

His friend and teammate, senior Andrew Weiss, said the event is a good way to connect with other gamers, who are usually associated with the anti-social stereotype of being “nerds.”

“We can see some of the best players here,” Weiss said. “They’re just amazing, some of the best in the world.”

Walking to Concannon and Weiss’ gaming station required passing 25 rows of gamers to reach the very back of the barn.

The hard glow from 24-inch computer monitors cast light on piles of snacks, empty pizza boxes and energy drinks.

One participant had built his own computer.

“Did you see the waterfall?” Concannon asked, nodding his head toward the computer.
A small waterfall trickled down the side of the neon-lit, transparent computer. On the side, in bold letters, it was deemed the “Fire and Ice.”

The water cools down the computer so it can’t overheat while playing, Weiss said. Because of this, the operator can play games faster than most people.

“It’s the ultimate dedication,” Weiss said.

Concannon and Weiss did not use giant monitors, but rather, their personal laptops. They put on headsets to prepare to play their first game of the tournament at about 10 p.m. Saturday. The game was a League of Legends multi-player game in which their team competed against another.

They know the people on their team, but they hadn’t practiced together before going into the event. The gamers prepared separately, Concannon said.

“It’s like going to the batting cages,” he said, “But you’re not with your whole team. So you’re there taking cuts, but you’re not against a live pitcher or anything.”

The 24-hour LAN War event will take place again in the spring semester, as it does every year, Barr said.

The event required a small fee to gain access to a spot for a PC in the barn, and it offered players complimentary food, board games and interactive games like Just Dance.

A raffle is held several times throughout the 24 hours in which all of the gamers gathered toward the front of the barn for a chance to win prizes such as t-shirts or expensive headsets.

Concannon didn’t stay the entire 24 hours last year, but Weiss, a first-timer, planned to keep him occupied this semester to stick it out, he said.

“It’s the Super Bowl of the gaming world,” Weiss said.

It’s a big deal, he said, and he wasn’t going to leave early.

In the end, it’s about the atmosphere and community, which Concannon said he likes.
“Everybody gets to bro out,” he said. “Everybody gets to nerd out together.”

Follow reporter Anicka Slachta on Twitter @ajslachta.