Buddy Walk raises more than $12,000

CAROUSELciBuddyWalk

The inside of the National Guard Armory was reminiscent of an elementary school carnival. There were bouncy houses, face-painting and middle school cheerleaders standing in pyramids and spelling out “Buddy Walk.”

The 2013 Buddy Walk took place at the National Guard Armory on Sunday. The event was originally to be held in Bryan Park, but was relocated indoors because of rain.

The walk, sponsored by the National Down Syndrome Society and Down Syndrome Family Connection, raised $12,922 , exceeding its fundraising goal of $10,000.
The Buddy Walk is an international event with more than 250 walks across the globe.

In Indiana alone, there are five Buddy Walk locations.

This year marked the sixth annual Bloomington Buddy Walk. At the National Guard Armory, tents and activities were set up inside while brightly colored flags in the parking lot outside marked the walk path.

“The Bloomington Community responded really well,” Buddy Walk coordinator Nola Bloemendaal said. “There were at least 1,000 participants last year, and it gets bigger every year. With social media, too, people are willing to share and talk about it in a way that’s never been talked about before.”

For some, the walk represented a personal connection to Down syndrome. Grace and Allen MacNeil walked for their son.

“When I was young, I didn’t know anything about Down syndrome,” Grace said. “I think you can build tolerance and acceptance with more education.”

Bloomington resident Pam Feazell walked for her grandson.

“It’s all about bringing awareness for people with children who have Down’s,” Feazell said.

Bloemendaal said she had a personal connection to the walk as well.

“I’m a parent of a child with Down syndrome,” Bloemendaal said. “Everybody on our board is — we’re all volunteers and parents who want to get the word out about Down syndrome.”

The goal of the Buddy Walk, according to NDSS, is “to promote understanding and acceptance of people with Down syndrome,” a feeling which encapsulated the walk environment.

In the building packed with smiling faces sporting Buddy Walk T-shirts, multi-colored balloons and carnival games, every person blended into the crowd.

“It’s all about educating — people can see how they’re more like (people with Down syndrome),” Bloemendaal said. “It’s a social opportunity. Most people (who attend) don’t have Down syndrome. This is a good opportunity for everyone to be around families and see kids and adults interact in a fun setting.”

Follow reporter Rashmika Nedungadi on Twitter  @rashmika_n.