crime & courts

Angle sentenced to 65 years for murder

Angle

Michael Angle Jr., 28, will spend the next 65 years in prison for murdering Lauren Kahn, 47.

The sentence was the maximum permissible under Indiana law.

A Monroe County Circuit Court jury found Angle guilty of voluntary manslaughter and felony murder Sept. 6 after about three hours of deliberation and three days of evidence and testimony.

Angle stabbed Kahn to death the night of Nov. 14, 2011, when she was working at the now-closed adult entertainment shop Garden of Eden, 756 S. Walnut St.

In his sentencing Monday, Monroe County Circuit Court Judge Marc Kellams extended sympathy to Kahn’s family and friends and addressed Angle’s actions.

“Your acts were monstrous,” Kellams said. “They were beyond the pale of any possible explanation.”

Family and friends testified in court Monday afternoon asking for the maximum sentence for Angle. They delivered their statements through tears.

“His mental health is not the issue. He cannot be trusted,” said Tara Emery, Kahn’s daughter who lives in New Jersey. “He took her life, and he should pay for it with his.”

Kahn’s sister Hillary Roth, who traveled from New York for the sentencing as she had done for the trial, also read a statement, as well as statements from two other Kahn siblings and Kahn’s parents.

Kahn’s husband, Brad Westlake, choked up during his prepared statement.

“My soul will never recover from the loss of Lauren,” he said. “Those of us who knew and loved Lauren will never be the same.”

“It’s a hollow victory as there will never be a right to this wrong,” Kahn’s best friend Kelsy Benckart testified Monday. “Her loss has forever altered the course of countless lives, and this world is a lesser place without her in it.”

Others, including Angle’s sister, Heather Odom, testified on his behalf. 

Angle’s mother, Teresa Montes, testified last.

“I lost my son that day, in a different form,” Montes said.

Angle made an unsworn statement that began with an apology to Kahn’s friends and family.

“No amount of sorry will ever right this tragedy,” he said. “For the rest of my life, I want to live a life that would be an honor to Lauren’s memory.”

Angle had entered an insanity defense during the trial, arguing he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by his time training for the Army.

Angle testified in court he was blacked out when he stabbed Kahn more than 20 times.

The prosecution argued Angle was aware of the wrongness of his actions.
Chris Gaal, Monroe County prosecutor, presented quotes from Angle’s taped confession to discredit the insanity defense.

“I knew that what I did was wrong ...” Angle said during the taped confession. “I knew it was wrong right away ...”

Angle was placed into the custody of the Indiana Department of Corrections Reception Diagnostic Center where he will await his prison placement.

Follow reporter Matthew Glowicki on Twitter @mattglo.