student life

Union Board carnival party attracts new members

A clown greeted students as they walked into Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union for Union Board’s callout event.
On Sept. 18 at the Union Board Callout Palooza, potential members were invited to join in the carnival-themed event to learn about the program and how to be a part of it.
Union Board directors gave students information about the group, which oversees IMU events and serves as the largest programming organization on campus, according to its website.
In Alumni Hall, decorated with streamers and balloons, several tables showcased each Union Board committee.
Some of Union Board’s committees include Design and Technology, Concerts and Fun and Entertainment.
The Union Board of Directors meets every Thursday night at 6 p.m. in the Indiana Memorial Union’s Distinguished Alumni Room. The board uses student activity fee money to provide educational and entertaining programs across campus.
The committee members spoke to students about their responsibilities. Each committee handed out pamphlets or sign-up sheets that invited people to get
involved.
Students can also look online at imu.indiana.edu for the contact information of each committee as well as the Union Baord mission statement.
Union Board Public Affairs Director Erin Brown said the social event was different than the group’s usual callout meetings.
“We tried to make it a lot more fun and interactive this year,” Brown said.
The event offered candy, popcorn and prizes to students who participated in games set up by each committee. The Canvas Creative Arts committee laid out several canvases, which when displayed together showed the face of Union Board President Jared Thomas.
“Just go ahead and paint any canvas square of Jared’s face,” Canvas Creative Arts committee member Grace Miller instructed students.
Students each painted a part of a canvas to form a collage of colors. Behind the committee tables in the back of the room, hula-hoop dancers performed tricks to the beat of the carnival music for people’s
entertainment.
The group’s music committee invited students to a concert following the meeting on the patio outside of the IMU, the first of a series of concerts called “The Gallery: Evening Music Series.”
“It’s like an open-mic night with live music,” Brown said.

Follow reporter
Torie Schumacher
on Twitter @shoe_torie.