The Bishop celebrates fourth anniversary

entBishop

To commemorate their 2009 opening, The Bishop Bar will have its Fourth Anniversary Celebration at 9:30 p.m. Friday.

Making their return to the Bishop to perform as part of the bar’s festivities is the Coke Dares, a locally-founded rock group known for their short but intricate numbers.

Jason Groth, guitar player and vocalist for the Coke Dares, said the group’s pieces can be as short as 20 seconds and comprise of a verse, chorus, bridge, guitar solo and even harmonies.

Including a single phrase set to music is also a common method for the group, Groth said.

“The idea behind the band was always to cut out all the crap and just make songs where only the good stuff existed,” Groth said.

Groth said showcasing their short melodies in the birthplace of their band is a priority to the Coke Dares’ members, who have been living in different parts of the country.

Groth said the group originally wanted to be a successful cover band but changed their course during rehearsals.

“We ended up playing songs in our rehearsals, and they tended to be a little short, so we ended up writing more songs that were flushed out but just weren’t long. We would play something like 25 songs in 25 minutes and that would be our set,” Groth said.

Getting back to the group’s roots, Groth said the band is thrilled to headline at the Bishop Friday.

“We started the band in Bloomington and have a lot of ties to the town, so anytime we get a chance to play together is exciting. The Bishop is an important place for the Bloomington music scene, so we’re honored to get back together and help them celebrate the fourth anniversary,” Groth said.

Jay McClurg, who works at the Bishop, said he is also looking forward to having the Coke Dares join them this evening.

“They’re great guys and longtime Bloomington musicians,” McClurg said. “Come out and have fun.”

Joining the Coke Dares are the Impossible Shapes, a pop-punk band from the Hoosier state.

Members of the Impossible Shape also play in the Coke Dares and John Wilkes Booze.

Group members Chris Barth and Aaron Deer also maintain solo projects on the side.
After celebrating its anniversary, the Bishop has a full lineup scheduled for the rest of the month.

Acts, like Paul Collins, Jackson Scott, Titus Andronicus and Houses are all scheduled to perform throughout September.

For more information on the Bishop, visit thebishopbar.com.

Follow IU Cinema reporter Olivia Williams on Twitter @obwillia.