student life

Rec Sports program offers support to battle diabetes

Recreational Sports is offering a free program to IU staff and faculty to fight against Type 2 diabetes.
The Diabetes Prevention Program is a free 16-week program for IU staff and faculty designed to decrease their risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. Individuals work with a lifestyle coach whose lessons focus on altering eating habits and adding physical activity to the daily routine.
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that one of every three U.S. adults had prediabetes in 2010,” Susan Woods, diabetes prevention coordinator for the IU campus recreational sports, said in an email. “The vast majority of people living with prediabetes do not know they have it.”
The program is designed to help those who need support battle the disease.
As participants in the program, faculty and staff will learn how to alter their habits to create a healthier lifestyle.
“The first eight weeks are dedicated to learning about healthy nutrition and physical activity,” Woods said. “The second half of the program focuses on lifestyle factors, everyday things that may get in the way of a participant’s ability to eat healthfully and keep
moving.”
Any individual who’s at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes can join the program.
The program has had more than 50 individuals join since 2012. Participants have seen results such as the elimination of medication and the stabilization of blood pressure.
The program is available twice a week and is located at the Indiana Memorial Union.
Wood said she has one main thing she hopes to accomplish from the program.
“I have just one goal, really, and that is to help as many people as we can become healthier and to reduce or eliminate their risk of ever developing Type 2 diabetes,” Woods said.

— Alexandria Miskus