$3000 Congress fund added to final IUSA budget

Reflecting amendments proposed by the IU Student Association’s Congressional Oversight and Reform Committee, the official 2013-14 IUSA budget was voted into action at Wednesday night’s meeting.

However, not all members present were pleased with the amended budget.
As one Congress member motioned for a vote to finalize the IU Student Association’s proposed budget, another spoke up in dissent.

Morgane Flahault spoke on behalf of Michael Su, a congressional representative from the Jacobs School of Music. Flahault read a letter from Su that said the budget was not in IU’s best interest.

The letter continued, stating that the current budget aids in the “creation of a perpetually non-influential Congress.”

Due to scheduling conflicts, Su was unable to appear at the meeting. He arrived after the budget had been put to a vote and spoke of a general fund that could provide more precise and flexible funding rather than a working budget for the year.

“What happens later in the fiscal year when something comes up, there’s a serious need on campus that we need to address?” Su asked.

Matt Shute, who voted in favor of the budget, expressed dissenting opinions regarding the amended budget as well, echoing the need for Su’s proposed general fund.

“That’s what’s best for the University, best for separation of power and best for working together,” Shute said. “Three thousand set for congressional initiatives is great, but it’s fixed, and it’s rigid.”

Time was allowed for discussion, during which members expressed their opinions regarding the working budget and the general fund.

When the time came for a vote, the budget was passed by a majority vote, with two members, Flahault as well as Su’s proxy, voting against the budget.

Treasurer Casey Baker amended the budget after receiving the IORC’s counter-proposal last week.

The budget, which totals $99,735, was amended to reflect the addition of a $3,000 fund to allow for congressional initiatives to immediately receive funding after being approved.

According to Press Secretary Connor Shaw, this is the first time Congress has allowed itself the power to self-fund its initiatives.

To receive funding, Vice President of Congress Scott Borer said Congress members must include a financial stipulation at the end of resolutions. That allows leadership to determine if the amount is appropriate and approve or reject the motion.

To allocate money for the fund, the IUSA marketing and advertising budget was cut by $1,000.

The amount of $550 for flyers for the Freshman Internship Program was cut, as well as $500 for brochures for a bus map and transportation initiative. Another $2,000 was cut from the budgeted amount for a spring Culture of Care speaker.

Of the $4,050 that was removed from the proposed budget, $1,550 was dedicated to a campus recycling initiative. Through the program, IUSA is working with Residential Programs and Services to provide in-room recycling bins for students.

“Students will be more apt to recycle since they’ll have it right in their dorm rooms,” Baker said during the presentation.

The remaining $2,500 was added to the original $500 budgeted for Congress, giving the legislative branch a $3,000 fund from which members can immediately have access to funding for initiatives.

Follow IUSA reporter Holly Hays on Twitter @hv_hays