crime & courts

3 victims accuse man of molestation

A child molestation in a residence on Bloomington’s east side was reported Sept. 9 to the Bloomington Police Department.

The mother of a 13-year-old reported the girl had been inappropriately touched by 58-year-old Terrance Ellett, BPD Sgt. Joe Crider said.

The 13-year-old victim spoke to police Sept. 9 and said while staying at Ellett’s residence between April and June 2013, she was inappropriately touched on the outside and inside of her clothing.

Ellett also instructed the victim to inappropriately touch herself so he could watch and viewed pornographic material with the victim while they touched each other’s genitalia.
Ellett provided the victim with alcohol and marijuana and would have her steal from department stores.

The victim said Ellett would buy her expensive items, such as an iPhone and clothing, adding he threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone he was assaulting her, showing her a gun.

When police searched Ellett’s house, they found the handgun and seized it.
A second victim, a 26-year-old woman, spoke to police Sept. 13 saying Ellett had sexually assaulted her during the summer of 1997.

She reported the incident happened at Ellett’s residence.

The second victim reported spending the night with Ellett multiple times during which he inappropriately touched her on both the outside and inside of her clothing. She also said Ellett had her touch his genitalia.

The second victim reported these incidents occurred about four different times.
A third victim, a 45-year-old female, reported to BPD Sept. 13 5 that Ellett had her touch his genitalia on Christmas Eve in 1978.

Both the second and third victims told police Ellett would buy them sports equipment and would take them to sporting events.

When Ellett was interviewed, he initially denied any sexual acts with the 13-year-old, but did admit to providing her with alcohol, marijuana and merchandise.

He later admitted to sexual acts with the 13-year-old. Ellett said he never planned on acting on the threat of killing her or her family.

Ellett also said he remembers the 26-year-old victim and taking her to softball and purchasing sporting equipment. He also said he remembers kissing her and touching her inappropriately on her buttocks and genitalia and having her touch his genitalia.

Ellett has been additionally charged with child molestation, vicarious sexual gratification, child solicitation and sexual battery. The case remains active.

— Sydney Murray and Laura Schulte