arts iu cinema

Spanish comedy kicks off film series

Spanish writer and director Pedro Almodóvar’s 2013 comedy “I’m So Excited” kicks off this fall’s International Arthouse Series, co-sponsored by the Ryder Film Series and IU Cinema.

The partnership should help both organizations build larger audiences, IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers said.

Almodóvar’s latest film takes place on an airplane destined for a crash landing. To maintain composure, the crew decides to knock out several flight attendants and the entire economy section with muscle relaxants, leaving the business class completely conscious for the crisis.

The business class patrons are left to the accommodations of three campy, fabulous flight attendants, serving up laced liquor shots and The Pointer Sisters lip-synch's.

“Even though it’s campy, it also has a dark side to it as well, so I think it’s a classic Almodóvar,” Vickers said. “If anybody’s familiar with his work, I think they’ll enjoy it.”

Some critics, including the New York Times’ Manohla Dargis, claim the film is not a total winner from start to finish.

“It hasn’t gotten glowing reviews,” Vickers said. “[Almodóvar] is, what I’ll say, a master filmmaker, that even a not-so-stellar film from him still has a lot to love.”

Still, Vickers said Almodóvar’s work should be showcased whenever possible, especially when his films have such a slapstick, playful feel.

“I think he is someone we should continue to put in front of audiences as his films get distributed, and I think we don’t screen enough comedies in our series, so it was another opportunity to screen a comedy that fits this program well,” he said.

Other films being screened as part of the series include “Drinking Buddies” by Joe Swanberg and “Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction,” a documentary on the legendary American actor.

“He’s probably one of the most recognizable character actors of independent film over the last 20 years,” Vickers said.

Another film Vickers recommends to students is “Prince Avalanche,” directed by David Gordon Green and starring Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch.

“It’s a great little character study that follows these two that are out in the wilderness doing roadwork, and they’re trying to find themselves,” Vickers said. “It’s an odd couple pairing of the two characters, but it’s very heartwarming and also kind of bizarre.”

With about 110 film titles scheduled for this semester, the variety is sure to please the community, Vickers said.

“There’s absolutely something for everyone on this campus in the cinema this semester,” Vickers said.

Follow Olivia Williams on Twitter @obwillia