Marshall to retire as IU diversity leader

Edwin Marshall

IU recently announced Edwin C. Marshall, IU vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs since July 2007, will retire July 31 after 42 years as a professor and administrator at IU.

“Ed Marshall has made enormous contributions to IU for more than four decades, first as one of the nation’s leading optometry professors and scholars, and for the past six years as IU’s leading voice on vitally important issues related to diversity and equity,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in a release. “His intellect, experience and passion for IU will be deeply missed, and I wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.”

McRobbie has already selected James C. Wimbush, dean of the University Graduate School, to immediately succeed Marshall pending approval of the IU Board of Trustees at its next meeting Aug. 9, according to the release.

Wimbush has been a professor at the Kelley School of Business since 1991 and has served as IU’s top graduate school administrator for the past seven years, according to the release. He will continue to serve in his position as dean.

McRobbie noted that Marshall has been “instrumental” in the successful launch of IU’s new schools of public health both in Bloomington and Indianapolis.     

“I am very pleased that he has agreed to continue to serve as chair of the IU Public Health Coordinating Council,” McRobbie said in the release.

Given his ties to the university, Marshall said his decision to retire was a “challenging one.” However, he looks forward to staying involved at IU through his work on the council and as chairman of the search committee for the next permanent chancellor at IU Southeast, according to the release.

“Over the course of my time at IU, I have had the pleasure of working with great individuals across different disciplines on each of our campuses,” Marshall said in the release. “While there are many things I will miss as I phase into retirement, what I will miss most is working as part of a collaborative team to promote academic excellence through diversity and inclusion at IU.”

In addition to Marshall’s retirement, McRobbie also announced that the university will provide an additional $1 million in funding each year to DEMA and the University Graduate School to bolster the university’s commitment to attracting and retaining a greater number of minority graduate students.

- Makenzie Holland