crime & courts

Employee arrested for stealing handguns

Connor David Alexander Lappin, 21, was arrested for reportedly stealing three semi-automatic handguns from Bloomington Home & Personal Security Store on the 100 block of S. College Ave., Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

BPD responded to a reported theft on July 3 at 4:30 p.m. from the owner of the security store, a 36-year-old male.

Lappin, an employee who had access to guns within the shop, was subsequently interviewed, and admitted to stealing the handguns and giving them to four witnesses.

Lappin was admitted to Monroe County Jail with four counts of a D felony theft.

A confidential informant received information on July 5 from the four male witnesses – two 18-year-olds, a 19-year-old and a 20-year-old. Lappin reportedly gave each of the four witnesses the semi-automatic handguns, which matched the descriptions of handguns

Lappin stole from the security store. The witnesses admitted to selling the handguns.
One of the guns, a Taurus 9-millimeter semi-automatic, has been recovered, Crider said.

The other three handguns include Beretta and Browning 9-millimeter handguns and a Glock 40-millimeter handgun.  

The case remains active and is under investigation. Any information about the handguns can be directed to Detective Chris Scott at 812-349-3306.

– Jaclyn Lansbery