crime & courts

8-year-old boy struck by vehicle

An 8-year-old boy was transported with non-life threatening injuries to Riley Children’s Hospital after being struck by a vehicle July 8, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Police responded to the area of Nancy Street and Hillside Drive in reference to a personal injury accident where an 8-year-old boy was struck by a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe after getting off a city bus with his mother and her friend.

As the child and two adults exited the city bus, the adults indicated to police that they were waiting for the last car to pass before crossing the street, but that the child began to cross and was struck by the vehicle traveling west bound on Hillside Drive.

The 41-year-old female driver told police that she did not have an adequate amount of time to stop the collision and she struck the child with the front passenger side of her vehicle.

The child was transported by ambulance to IU Health Hospital. After child's injuries were assessed, the child was transported to Riley Children’s Hospital.

The child sustained several injuries including minor lacerations and contusions, swelling to the face, contusions to the spleen and liver as well as a possible fractured pelvis.

The injuries are not life-threatening injuries, and he is in stable conditions and conscious.

After the collision, the female driver was transported to the Bloomington Police Department voluntarily, police said.

She consented to a chemical breath test and the results came back negative for alcohol.

The driver then requested that officers also take a sample of her blood and she was transported to IU Health Hospital where a blood sample was submitted.

The primary cause of the accident was considered pedestrian actions and not the actions of the driver, police said.

No criminal charges have been filed.

Samantha Felix