crime & courts

Police respond to Seminary Square melee

Two men were arrested after a Saturday brawl at Seminary Square involving rocks as weapons, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said.

Around 6:15 p.m. Saturday, officers encountered Donald Scott Thomas, 46, throwing rocks at Tyrone McClendon, 58, when they arrived on scene.

Officers pepper-sprayed Thomas after he refused to drop the rocks at their command.

Thomas then continued to throw the rocks in a blinded state. Officers took Thomas to the ground, where he was handcuffed after a brief period of resisting, Cole said.

A witness on the scene pointed out Charles Frink, 52, as the main aggressor of the situation. The witness claimed Frink approached McClendon, who was asleep on the ground, and started punching him with closed fists, Cole said.

The situation was originally called in as a stabbing, as the witness saw Frink holding a small silver knife in his hand during the attack. McClendon had injuries on his cheeks from punches and rocks, but no knife wounds were found on his body, Cole said.

Frink was arrested and preliminarily charged with intimidation and aggravated battery, Cole said.

Thomas was arrested and preliminarily charged with resisting arrest and attempted battery, as the rocks he threw reportedly did not hit McClendon, Cole said.

Cole said all three men were intoxicated during the situation.

Jeff LaFave