crime & courts

Man reports two armed robberies from acquaintance

A 48-year-old male reported to police that he was robbed by a known male acquaintance on two separate occasions, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Police responded to a robbery call at the 1300 block of North Dunn on Wednesday.
The 48-year-old victim told police that his 23-year-old male acquaintance, whom he met two years ago via social networking, had come to his residence and produced a semi-automatic handgun while ordering him to sign over a check from a closed bank account, police said.

Police said it appeared as though the suspect found an old checkbook at the victim’s residence and then ordered the victim to sign the check over to the suspect.

The victim also reported that the suspect returned to his residence on or around Monday and displayed the semi-automatic handgun a second time and demanded money, Crider said.

The victim reported to police that the suspect struck the victim in the face with the handgun on the second occasion and an undisclosed amount of cash was taken from him.

When the victim was filing his report to police Wednesday, two days from the second reported incident, police noted that they did not observe any facial or head injuries on the victim.

Police are following up with the incident, Crider said.

– Samantha Felix