crime & courts

Man assaulted by former classmates, gun taken

A standing tension between former classmates led to an assault and a stolen firearm early Saturday morning, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Ian Lovan said.

Police responded to the 900 block of South Henderson Street at approximately 1:39 a.m. where a 23-year-old man claimed he was assaulted by four men, all of which were former high school classmates.

The victim claims he was at Night Moves on the south side when the suspects identified him and tried to get him to fight them outside. After the victim called for a taxi ride home, the four men beat on the cab and followed him home, Lovan said.

The victim claims he went inside to grab his handgun in defense from one of the suspects, who he believed to have a reputation with firearms. While he was upstairs, the four men kicked in the front door, then pulled the suspect onto the front porch and started assaulting him.

The victim also claims he was held down by one of the men during the assault, though he was unsure whom. The gun was taken from him at this time.

The victim’s mother, who heard the incident from inside, ran out to pepper-spray the group of men. They then fled the scene in a black Toyota Camry, heading north on Henderson Street, Lovan said.

Detectives assigned to the scene learned that 24-year-old Arman Hill, the suspect who stole the gun from the victim, panicked and disassembled the firearm, then driving miles out of town to throw its three pieces into a national wildlife refuge, Lovan said.

Evidence technicians were able to locate the firearm with a metal detector and directions given by Hill.

Hill was arrested and preliminarily charged with theft. Detectives have spoken with another suspect, but had yet to reach the other two. The victim provided police with the names of the suspects and the case remained active as of Saturday afternoon, Lovan said.

— Jeff LaFave