Madison receives Bartley Award

JeanneMedal

The E. Ross Bartley Award, named after one of former IU President Herman B Wells’ staff members, is the highest staff award given by an IU president. On June 13, IU President Michael A. McRobbie bestowed the award to Jeanne Madison, according to a press release.

“At Indiana University, lifelong learning is about discovering and exploring new worlds,” McRobbie said in the release before announcing the award Thursday. “It is about building a community and no one has done more to foster that sense of community than the woman who has for more than 15 years organized this award-winning and extremely popular program: Jeanne Madison.”

Madison started her career at IU nearly 40 years ago in the Department of Biology. She turned her focus to adult education in the 1990s and started managing IU Bloomington’s Lifelong Learning and Mini University programs. She is co-director of the 42nd annual Mini University, now in its 15th year under her watch.

Mini University is a model program that brings thousands of people from across Indiana and the country each year to hear lectures from IU instructors. Madison has worked with Mini University since 1995 and began directing the program in 1998, according to the release.

“Anyone who has ever attended Mini University, or hosted or taught a session, or worked on the staff, can attest to the fact that Jeanne is a consummate professional and that she possesses a strong work ethic and a penchant for attention to detail,” McRobbie said in the release.

Madison retired as a full-time IU employee in 2011 and stepped down as director of Lifelong Learning. However, she continued her work with Mini University as co-director.

Madison was recognized by McRobbie with the Bartley Award during the Mini University Faculty Reception at Bryan House, according to the release. She was honored with IU’s Staff Merit Award and the Indiana Council for Continuing Education’s Professional Staff Member of the Year award at the reception as well.

-Makenzie Holland