crime & courts

Former Cafe Django employee arrested for attempted burglary

A former employee of Café Django was arrested on North Grant Street for trying to break into the business with a sprinkler head Monday night, police said.

The manager of Café Django showed up to the business around 11 p.m. to check on unrelated after-hours matters when the manager found Michael Spencer, 46, trying to break into the building with a sprinkler head, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

When the manager confronted Spencer, who was warned May 13 not to trespass on on the property, the suspect told the manager he needed $5 and asked for the money. When the manager declined, Spencer dropped the sprinkler head and ran away on foot, Crider said.

Officers responded to Café Django where they found the sprinkler head and fresh pry marks on the building’s north door, Crider said.

Officers then responded to the area of Spencer’s last known address where he was found hiding in the area. At that time, Spencer admitted to trying to break in. He was arrested and preliminarily charged with burglary, Crider said.

Spencer has faced charges for two prior burglaries this year, including a March 19 incident where he admitted to breaking through the window of Laundry Works on East Third Street with intent to steal money.

— Jeff LaFave