sports baseball

Extravagant food options highlight Omaha stadium fare

Food Feature

OMAHA, Neb. — Chef Dayanny DelaCruz refers to TD Ameritrade Park as her baby.
And she’s still coming up with new food options for her three-year-old baby.

“I opened this stadium,” she said. “It’s my baby, actually. I took it from construction stage, and I’ve been here three years.”

The newest food for her baby is the “Triple Play” and the “Midwestern Monster.”

The Triple Play is a 3.5-pound burger that feeds seven to eight people.

“Everything is big at the College World Series,” Chef DelaCruz said.
The sandwich features three layers of fried dough, a bottom layer of bratwurst melt, short ribs in the middle and sweet potato tots and fried onions to top off the large masterpiece.

“It’s absolutely amazing,” she said.

Her other new favorite item on the menu this year is the Midwestern Monster. The Monster has two Angus beef patties with cheese and pulled pork and bacon in the middle. Sriracha mayo and a cheese spread glaze the top patty.

Delacruz has also added a mix of healthier options that line the main concourse. She said she invites people to respond with requests for new menu items each year, and last year the demand was for healthy options.

“If you go down and walk the concourse, you’re going to find fresh eats, veggie cups, Mediterranean wraps, salads,” she said. “We also have vegetarian and vegan items.”

In addition to the new healthy choices and Omaha steaks, which are featured prominently throughout the entire ballpark with the hamburgers, baby back ribs, pulled pork and ribeye sandwich, Chef Delacruz prides herself on the one-stop-shop that is the club level.

Season ticket holders are greeted there with what she calls “mini restaurants” that feature different high-end culinary products.

“Of course we love our hot dogs and our hamburgers and all of those things, but at the same time, we’re trying to be a little more open,” Delacruz said, “When you come here, you don’t have to go anywhere else. We can give you the high end. We can give you fine dining. We’ve got chicken and waffles. You have loaded mac ‘n’ cheese, and you have bison sausage.”

She said her favorite dish is the Reuben sausage. It takes all of the ingredients from a Reuben, which Chef DelaCruz said originated in Nebraska, and puts it on a sausage.  

“It’s been a favorite ever since we started,” she said.

TD Ameritrade Park may be the best-fed three-year-old baby ever.