crime & courts

Bicyclist arrested for aggravated battery

Police arrested a 22-year-old man Wednesday night for aggravated battery on the 1200 block of West 12th Street, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Officers responded to a 41-year-old male with a bloody face and lacerations under his eye and nose at around 11 p.m. The victim reported he was walking in the area when Casey Allen Flynn approached him on bicycle and punched him in the face, Crider said. The victim also claimed Flynn took an undisclosed sum of cash from him.

Witnesses said they saw a man riding a bicycle and gave the suspect’s name, but officers could not locate him. The same suspect, identified as Flynn, showed up around 12:30 a.m. at the BPD headquarters to speak with police after someone told him the officers wanted to speak with him, Crider said.

Flynn said he was at a friend’s house hanging out when the victim threatened to harm him. Flynn reported that he responded “how would you like that if I said that to you?”

Flynn said the victim then attempted to batter him, at which point Flynn tried to act in self-defense by punching the victim until he fell to the ground. Flynn then chose to leave on bike, Crider said.

Flynn also denied taking money from the alleged victim, Crider said.

Flynn was arrested and preliminarily charged with aggravated battery, Crider said. Robbery charges are pending as of Thursday.

Jeff LaFave