crime & courts

Argument leads to attempted murder charge

Police responded to an argument and gunfire Thursday night at Summit Pointe Apartments, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Larry Gibson, 52, was arrested and preliminarily charged with attempted murder, criminal recklessness with a firearm and pointing a firearm after a dispute at his residence around 9:20 p.m. Though he fired a shot at Frank Billups, the 41-year-old son of Gibson’s girlfriend, nobody was harmed by the pellets.

Gibson was drinking at a friend's place before he returned to his apartment where he and his girlfriend live. Billups encountered Gibson and said he needed to get his items and leave the residence, Crider said.

Gibson said he tried to explain a situation regarding his 20-year relationship with Billups’ mother when the son became upset. Gibson then entered the apartment. Billups followed him inside, Crider said.

Gibson reportedly called for the girlfriend to explain the situation to her son, at which point the 41-year-old male said he did not need to speak with her, and that Gibson again needed to obtain his items and leave.

A fight then broke out between Gibson and Billups. When the 57-year-old girlfriend tried to intervene, Gibson then pushed the girlfriend to the floor and went to his room in search of his single-barrel, 12-gauge shotgun, Crider said.

Billups said he tried to disarm Gibson after their initial altercation and struck him to prevent the weapon from being fired.

Billups then took his 7-year-old daughter and tried to exit the apartment complex in their vehicle. Gibson followed Billups out to the parking lot and shot at Billups' vehicle as the two were leaving, Crider said.

According to the police report, Gibson said he was “not trying to harm him,” only trying to intimidate and frighten Billups.

Billups also said that Gibson would threaten individuals with his shotgun both in threats and actions “on many occasions” while spending time in his home.

Police said Gibson was not acting in self-defense at this point and had become the aggressor, and his shooting at Billups’ vehicle led him to face the attempted murder and firearm charges, Crider said.

Gibson was transported to IU Health via ambulance to receive sutures on his face and hands. The mother had a complaint of pain when she was pushed.

Jeff LaFave