crime & courts

Woman attacked while retrieving stolen property

A 27-year old man has been arrested after allegedly attacking a woman who was trying to retrieve stolen property, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

Sunday, a female complainant made a theft report in Greene County, saying keys and a wallet were stolen from her by a man she knew only as "D."

Later in the day, she received a call from "D" saying her belongings could be retrieved at an apartment on the 700 block of North Lindbergh Drive.

Upon the woman's arrival just before 11 p.m., Antwaun Hopkins forcibly removed her from the vehicle and struck her with a closed fist to the left side of her face. She fell against the side of the car, then to the ground, injuring her hand in the fall. She also complained of head pain.

Hopkins threatened to kill the woman and produced a dark-handled knife with a 6- to 8- inch blade, Crider said, then walked away and placed the stolen items near a porch.

Police later located Hopkins, who admitted to a verbal altercation with the woman and said he was upset that she showed up at his residence. A black-handled kitchen knife matching the description was located.

Hopkins was arrested and charged with misdemeanor, aggravated battery and felony intimidation.

Max McCombs