crime & courts

Wisniewski charged with reckless homicide

On Friday, May 17, a 55-year-old white female was found dead on an apartment bedroom floor on the 2600 block of N. Walnut St. The victim’s roommate, Richard Wisniewski, 48, was apprehended on unrelated charges, the Bloomington Police Department said.

On May 21, an arrangement was made with Richard Wisniewski and an attorney in which he indicated that at 3 a.m. on Friday, May 17 he had been engaged in consensual sexual relations with the deceased.

It was determined that during the sexual relations, the deceased had been strangled. Wisniewski indicated that his hands were around her neck consensually.

He reported that the deceased had lost consciousness and after a short period of time failed to wake up. Wisniewski attempted resuscitation to no avail. He then panicked, fled the scene and was later picked up standing in a tree line north of the apartment unit. He was arrested for and preliminarily charged with felony, theft and an outstanding search warrant with the state of Florida. He was also suspected for attempting to use a counterfeit $100 bill at a nearby Speedway gas station.

An autopsy was conducted on the deceased at Terre Haute Regional Hospital and it was concluded that the cause of death was strangulation. Wisniewski has been charged with reckless homicide, a C felony.

—Makenzie Holland