education

ISTEP resumes without interruption

Indiana students resumed Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress (ISTEP) without interruption Wednesday after experiencing technical difficulties the past two days, according to a press release from the Indiana Department of Education.

More than 400,000 tests were completed at the end of the day Wednesday and about 16 percent of total sessions completed.

“Our first goal is to ensure all students have an opportunity to complete testing," said
Glenda Ritz, superintendent of Public Instruction, in a press release.

The IDOE asked schools to decrease their daily test load to 50 percent of normal levels until otherwise notified to prevent further interruptions. They were instructed to test one grade level at a time instead of two as originally planned or to use only half of the computers available to them.

With ISTEP testing delayed two days in a row, the allotted time available for testing has been extended by three days to May 15. Many schools will have to make changes to schedules in order to complete all rounds of testing and more extensions may have to be implemented.

Though the validity of the test results has been questioned by teachers and staff, CTB/McGraw-Hill reassured the IDOE that numerous measures have been taken to ensure accuracy. CTB/McGraw-Hill also stated in its press release Wednesday that students “will resume tests where they left off and no data has been lost.”

CTB/McGraw-Hill determined that insufficient memory led to the technical problems  on Monday. Again though, Indiana school districts were forced to suspend testing on Tuesday after experiencing server problems.

ISTEP exams are a high-stakes test for Indiana schools’ accountability, as well as staff performance evaluation and compensation.

“After testing is complete, the IDOE will be identifying any factors that may affect these areas and determine what action might be needed,” Ritz said.

The CTB/McGraw-Hill company said it is doing everything possible to correct the issues so that the remainder of the assessments can be administered without interruption.