crime & courts

Woman reports being stabbed in neck while checking mailbox

Police investigation continues after a woman reported being stabbed in the back of the neck while trying to retrieve mail from her mailbox late Saturday evening.

After receiving a report from a woman who had been stabbed, several Bloomington Police Department officers, detectives and detective supervisors responded at about 11:40 p.m. Saturday to the 2400 block of South Winslow Court.

Upon arrival, the victim, 31, told police she had arrived home and saw a package on her doorstep, which prompted her to check her mail.

While at the mailbox, she told police, a male wearing a hooded jacket and jeans approached her, BPD Sgt. Lucas Tate said, and reportedly told the woman, “I told you I was gonna get you.”

A car drove past the woman and the suspect, the victim told police, which she believed caused the suspect to flee. In the process of the suspect fleeing, the woman told police, she felt a burning sensation on the back of her neck.

Tate said she believed this was when the suspect stabbed her in the back of the neck, leaving a wound about three-fourths of an inch long.

The woman also reported her keys were missing after the incident.

A small child was in the woman’s residence at the time of the incident, Tate said, but the child was uninjured. The woman was transported to Bloomington Hospital.

Police were unable to locate the suspect despite efforts to surveil the area and speak with neighbors.

— Kirsten Clark