Trustees to discuss renovations, tenure

The IU Board of Trustees will meet to make decisions regarding infrastructure and renovations at Herman B Wells Library, faculty tenure recommendations and promotions and renovations at Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity.

The meeting was originally scheduled for Thursday and Friday but has been shortened to one day, on Thursday in Presidents Hall in Franklin Hall.

Agenda items, such as 2014 tuition recommendations and the proposed merger of the School of Journalism and Departments of Communication and Culture and Telecommunications, will not be discussed until later meetings.

Chair of the Board of Trustees William Cast said some agenda items were pushed back because they’re not yet ready for review.

“Things are ongoing within the IU administration to gather data that aren’t ready to bring to the Board until probably June,” Cast said. “We’re in the middle of a legislative session, and, naturally, we have to look at what comes out of the legislature.”

The  trustees’ next meeting is June 20-21 at IU-Purdue University Fort Wayne.
On Thursday, the Board will listen to reports from several administrative officials including IU President Michael McRobbie, Provost Lauren Robel and several IU vice presidents, including Vice President for Capital and Facilities Tom Morrison.

All meetings are open to the public, excluding a private executive session at noon.
Cast said IU trustees William Strong and Bruce Cole will most likely not appear in person at the meeting due to prior conflicts, but Strong will attend via a conference call.
Despite IU on Strike planning a strike Thursday and Friday to coincide with the meeting, Cast said the IU trustees are planning to carry on the meeting as planned.

“The agenda, the business, doesn’t know whether there’s a strike or not,” Cast said. “Whether it’s noisy or quiet, the agenda is the agenda. It’s neutral in that sense.”

The Board of Trustees’ business meeting last April was interrupted by protesters who openly discussed grievances against the trustees and University. Despite the possibility of another protest, Cast said the board is preparing to continue as scheduled.

“The last time there was a lot of disruption, there were very few action items on the agenda. It was mostly discussion,” Cast said. “If there are a number of action items, we would have to proceed no matter what disruption there was. If the disruption was loud and unruly, we would clear the room and then proceed with business.”