student life

Town hall prompts discussion

Student leaders from some of IU’s largest, most prominent organizations engaged in a public dialogue on topics including campus safety, rising tuition and minority representation at a town hall discussion Friday.

The town hall was organized by Union Board and included leaders from nine organizations. Matthew Glowicki, Indiana Daily Student managing editor, moderated the discussion, largely dominated by IU Student Association President Kyle Straub.

Straub pointed out that IUSA started the Culture of Care Week last spring to raise awareness of sexual assault, mental health and drug abuse and to further the goal of campus safety.

“It’s a responsibility of campus leaders to promote a culture of care and modification of behavior on these issues,” Straub said. “It’s really about changing the culture.”

Interfraternity Council recently started Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault to raise awareness of and combat sexual assault. The Residence Halls Association has promoted a similar initiative aimed at sexual assault awareness.

“We have been focused on addressing what is consent, how to give consent and how to respect the boundaries of consent,” RHA Vice President of Student Affairs Hana Horton said. “In discussions with students we have found that some feel that once you give consent, you can’t take it back. There has to be more one-on-one education.”

Chris Kauffman, president of the Board of Aeons, which advises IU President Michael McRobbie, said the board has suggested a shift in policy toward reducing tuition for students set to graduate on-time. He said this could boost graduation rates.

Straub revealed IUSA has regular meetings with IU’s chief financial officer to discuss tuition transparency.

“There is unfortunately no systematic way for the student to demand tuition rates from rising,” Straub said. “However, we want to make sure students fully understand the big picture: What makes up tuition? What does tuition pay for?”

Regarding minority representation, each organization leader said diversity is not as well represented on IU’s campus as it could be.

“Whose responsibility is it to consider minority representation?” Horton said. “It is all of our jobs to always be addressing minority representation, not giving this task to just one committee.”

Jose Delgado, member of the Multicultural Greek Council, said the organization plans to be more proactive on the issue of minority representation in the future.

“On a campus with 43,000, I would pay someone a lot of money to tell me how to reach each and every single student,” Straub said.

National Pan-Hellenic Council member, Samuel Owusu-Mireku said the organization started an event called Dorm Storming, focused on spreading the word about the organization and its various events in campus dorms once a month.

“We honestly don’t feel welcome sometimes,” Owusu-Mireku said. “African-American students come to places like the NPHC and the Black Culture Center for a place to feel at home.”

Leaders also addressed questions from an audience member involved with IU on Strike about the relevance and validity of student organizations.

In an impromptu poll the audience member conducted, most attendees said they were involved with one of the organizations represented. The student called into question the purpose and success of meetings such as this, given the low student turnout. 

“It has to be a two-way road,” Straub said. “We need to be met halfway. We genuinely try to make sure we are representing every student’s voice.”

Union Board President Jared Thomas suggested that in order for future meetings of this nature to be successful, effective advertising must be targeted at students. He suggested that scheduling the meeting on a more convenient date and time would potentially influence more students to show up.

“I think it’s important if you as an individual student, have a concern, to get involved with an organization or a student group,” Thomas said. “You will become part of the larger group with a voice. The best way to effect change is to get involved.”