arts jacobs school of music

SNL drum kit donated to Jacobs School of Music

Live from Bloomington, it’s Saturday Night.

Shawn Pelton, a percussionist featured in the Saturday Night Live house band, donated one of his drum kits to the Jacobs School of Music.

John Tafoya, chair of the percussion department, said the drum set donated by Pelton will be integrated into the school’s percussion department inventory and will be used by students in various performances,

“This is such a wonderful gift,” Tafoya said. “The faculty and students are so grateful to Shawn for this donation and for the time he spent with all of us during his visit. I am so very proud to know that his

incredible musical accomplishments are now appreciated throughout the percussion and music world.”

After graduating from the Jacobs School in 1985, Pelton toured professionally before being asked to join the musical SNL repertoire in 1992. His black “Drum Machine (DM)” brand kit with Zildjian cymbals, which accompanied some of the world’s most popular musicians, will now call Bloomington home.

Pelton, who is known for his for wide range of musical styles, has performed and recorded with Sheryl Crow, Billy Joel, Van Morrison, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Johnny Cash, Pink, Kelly Clarkson and Carly Simon.

“As a working alumnus in the constantly evolving music business, it was inspiring to witness first-hand the world-class depth, broad stylistic range and modern sense of vision within the IU percussion department,” Pelton said. “The percussion faculty is a real dream team that offers everything for an aspiring performer.”

Steve Houghton, professor of music in percussion and jazz studies, said Pelton is always invited back to Bloomington.

“Shawn has an open invitation to come and work with our students, as he always brings a well-tested approach to making music in today’s marketplace,” Houghton said. “His ‘real life’ tips for playing on SNL every week to performing at the White House in front of the president are always brilliant and hilarious at the same time. He is a generous pro that I want my students to be around whenever
possible.”