community events

Local office awarded ‘General’s Cup’

Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller awarded the Attorney General’s Cup on Monday to the Steven Douglas Law Office, recognizing its contributions to the March Against Hunger food drive.

Steven Douglas Law Office was presented with the award for the second time.

The office donated $1,685 to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank, according to a news release.

The March Against Hunger food drive generated $55,455 and 10,065 pounds of food for local food banks in total.

Douglas has previously served as a deputy attorney general in the Attorney General’s office.

Douglas himself accepted the trophy, and his office was pronounced the winner of the sole proprietor division.

The year’s Attorney General’s Cup is presented to a firm in each of the six categories that collect the most donations: sole proprietor, small firm, medium firm, large firm and extra-large firm, according to the release.

“All food drive participants deserve recognition for their efforts to serve their local communities by selflessly giving their time and money to a worthy cause,” Zoeller said in the release. “Too many Hoosiers, including children, face hunger on a daily basis, and it’s heart-warming to see the members of my profession step up in such a big way.”

The annual food drive generated competition between 44 participating law groups in Indiana and Kentucky.

Contributing groups that assisted in donation coordination included the Indiana State Bar Association and Feeding Indiana’s Hungry, according to the release.

“As a fellow lawyer, I am particularly proud of the fact that lawyers from all corners of the state rose to the occasion to serve Hoosiers in need,” ISBA President Daniel Vinovich said in the release. “It’s opportunities like this annual food drive that allow us to serve beyond our clients.”

This year’s monetary and food donations equate to 143 tons of food, Zoeller said.

“We are grateful for the participation and generosity of so many Hoosier lawyers, as well as for the leadership of our state’s attorney general to raise awareness of hunger,” FIsH Executive Director Emily Weikert Bryant said in the release.

“One in six Hoosiers is at risk of hunger, and for Hoosier children just one in four.
The pounds contributed through the food drive this year will provide the equivalent of nearly 240,000 meals to Hoosiers in need, with nearly 1 million pounds donated since the program was created in 2009.”

— Michael Majchrowicz