arts performances

Jacobs alumni to perform in benefit concert

The power of music can be a soothing one.

On Sunday, April 28, a number of leading Baroque violinists who studied at the Jacobs School of Music will return to benefit the Middle Way House with a special concert at Fairview United Methodist Church, 600 W. Sixth St.

The 2 p.m. concert will be a performance of Heinrich Biber’s “Mystery Sonatas,” also known as “The Rosary Sonatas.” The concert is renowned for a technique called “scordatura,” which involves irregular tuning of the violin strings. Each of the 15 sonatas in Biber’s performance cycle is inspired by the praying of the Rosary.

Artistic director Janelle Davis said she plans to use Sunday’s event as a tribute to the influential women in her life.

“One of the most famous women in history is the Virgin Mary, and it’s the story of Mary’s bravery in the face of adversity that Biber depicts in this sonata cycle,” Davis said. “I’ve been so impressed by the way Middle Way House serves and supports women in hardship. I can’t think of a better fit for this project.”

Toby Strout, director of the Middle Way House, said he is thrilled that this event will benefit the House.

“What makes this event so special is the opportunity it will afford audience members to honor the special women in their lives,” Davis said.

For more information about the concert or the Middle Way House, visit bctboxoffice.com or middlewayhouse.org.