IU Theatre celebrates Seurat

Sunday in the Park With George CAROUSEL

IU Theatre’s final production of the 2012-13 season “Sunday at the Park with George” will begin its run this Friday at the Ruth N. Halls Theatre.

Based on “A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte,” the famous painting by Georges Seurat, the musical tells the story of Seurat as he creates his most notable painting and the obstacles he most overcome to complete his work.

The musical is broken up into two acts. The first act focuses on Seurat himself and the personal and mental struggles that face him as he attempts to finish his painting.

The second act jumps ahead to 1984, 100 years after Seurat’s painting is completed, and focuses on Seurat’s grandson, also named George. Seurat’s grandson is also an aspiring artist, and the second act focuses on the unveiling of his own artwork.

George Pinney, director of the IU Theatre production, said the theater has wanted to put on this musical for years and finally decided to add it as part of the season this year.

Pinney said he looked forward to the challenge it would present to the actors.

“Musically, it is very difficult, and technically, it is extremely difficult,” Pinney said. “We will be weaving still and video projections throughout the production.”

Actors have been rehearsing for the play for about seven weeks. Freshman cast member Elaine Cotter said she and her fellow actors are excited for the premiere.

“The rehearsal process has been a blast so far,” Cotter said. “Overall, this show is very difficult both musically and contextually and I think that the cast, crew and directors have worked very hard and we are all ready for an audience.”

Fellow cast member and freshman Nick Pappas plays Jules in Act I and Greenberg in Act II. Pappas said he loves the musical, which made preparing for his roles easier.

“As it happens, this is one of my favorite musicals, so I was already super familiarized with the material and characters,” he said. “For Jules specifically, it was a lot of posture and voice work. As a typical teenager, I’m kind of a sloucher generally, but Jules has to be an affluent, upright, high-class society member, so keeping that in mind was important.”

The show begins its run at 7:30 p.m. Friday and will run through April 20. Tickets cost $15 for students, $20 for seniors and $25 for the general public. Students can receive a $5 discount by presenting their student ID on the day of the performance.

Pinney said he believes is cast is ready for an audience and the audience should be prepared to get inside the mind of an artist.

“‘Art isn’t easy,’” he said, quoting a song from the show. “The audience will understand the working mind of an artist and will be inspired by the artful score.”