crime & courts

IU student arrested for reported sexual assault

Bloomington police arrested an IU student Wednesday afternoon after he reportedly entered a woman’s Smallwood Plaza apartment early Saturday morning and made unwanted sexual advances toward her.

Robert Steven Frank, 20, is currently facing preliminary charges of burglary, attempted rape and two counts of sexual battery, Bloomington Police Department Lt. Steve Kellams said.

The victim initially met with detectives April 20 at BPD. She told police she had returned home at about midnight Saturday and fell asleep until she was awoken by Frank at about 3 a.m. in her bedroom.

Although Frank reportedly lived on the same floor as the victim, and her roommates had met him before, she told police she did not know him.

Frank had entered the apartment without force, as the door to the woman’s apartment had been propped open with a shoe to keep it from latching. Others were inside the apartment, Kellams said, but they were asleep at the time of the incident.

Kellams said the woman and Frank engaged in a brief conversation, and Frank then began kissing the woman. He then reportedly tried to remove her pants and force himself on top of her. The victim told him to stop, and Frank reportedly masturbated on the victim’s comforter and left the residence, Kellams said.

Police located the suspect and interviewed him at BPD Wednesday in the presence of an attorney. Frank’s statements were consistent with the evidence detectives had previously gathered during the course of the investigation, Kellams said.

— Kirsten Clark