Husband & Wife to split

After nine or 12 years of music-making, depending on who you ask, Husband & Wife are getting a divorce.

Since February, the Bloomington-based indie band has been on a farewell tour, and will grace the stage one last time in their final show 9 p.m. Saturday at The Bishop Bar.

“You can expect a party,” said Bryant Fox, the band’s bassist. “Lots of sweaty friends and sing-a-longs. It’s going to be exciting.”

Guitarist Tim Felton said the band had been losing its momentum for the past year, and it was getting hard for members to commit. The group decided to call it quits in December 2012.

“I think everyone feels like it has been a long time coming and we are ready for it to be over,” Felton said. “Each of us have other creative projects we are excited about, and so I think we are ready to be unbound to Husband & Wife and free to explore new things.”

But Mike Adams, guitarist and vocalist for the band, said there are no hard
feelings.

“It’s bittersweet,” he said. “It definitely seems like the right thing to do though, so for that it’s somewhat of a relief and a release of
responsibility.”

Felton, who balanced responsibilities between being a guitarist and booking agent, said he will miss scheduling shows the least.

“Booking is a hard job and mostly a desk job at that,” he said. “It was sometimes fun to make the ideal route and they try and move dates and cities around to put that puzzle together, but that would wear off quickly and turn into busy, grind-it-out kind of work.”

He said it was a relief to schedule this last show. Although he said he’s nervous about it, he’s got high hopes for the performance as well.

“It’s just weird because it’s been a long while since I’ve worried about a show because I’ve known there would be more to come,” he said. “But I think I am getting a little more wrapped up in this one since I know it will be the last time for people to hear these songs live. I want it to be really good for everyone involved.”

Fox said at the end of their career together, the name of the band is appropriate for all the hard work they’ve put in during the years.

“To me, this band is family,” he said. “It sounds cheesy but the band name ‘Husband & Wife’ sums up how we approached the whole project, with commitment, for better or worse.”

Felton said the band will miss Bloomington.

“It has always, and will always, be the home of Husband & Wife,” Felton said. “Home is kind of a big deal, I think.”