Column: Football team will go bowling this fall

IU football last made a bowl game in 2007.

Since then, the Hoosiers have a 17-43 record in five seasons.

The question on every IU football fan’s mind is, “Will this be the season to break the drought?”

Two positive things the team can rely on for the upcoming season are the weak schedule and depth at the quarterback position.

The Hoosiers start the season with five consecutive home games against Indiana State, Navy, Bowling Green, Missouri and Penn State.

Also, there are three other home games against Big Ten opponents in Minnesota,
Illinois and Purdue.

The four away games are against Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio State, which are all tough competition.

Out of the 12 games, there seem to be eight very winnable games this season.

This will certainly be a big factor in the chance of success in the upcoming year.

This offseason will be interesting for Wilson and his coaching staff because they will have three quarterbacks trying to earn the starting spot.

Each quarterback has his strengths and weaknesses that need to be assessed to figure out who would be the best option for the position.

Sophomore Tre Roberson has the best speed of the three quarterbacks with a solid arm that the team can benefit from.

Junior Cam Coffman had success this past season with making quality shorter throws to receivers and running backs, which helped move the ball down the field.

Sophomore Nate Sudfeld showed youth in the first half of the season but started to show a strong arm that could make deep throws during the second half.

All three quarterbacks have solid qualities they bring to the field.

There are also intangibles like mental toughness,

character, work ethic and leadership that contribute to a quarterback’s evaluation.

One thing that is known for sure is there isn’t a clear-cut favorite like last season with Roberson starting the season.

The summer will be a period for Wilson and his coaching staff to start figuring out who fits best for the starting role.

The main message that can be taken away from this quarterback battle is that whoever the coaches go with, the team will be in the right hands.

- amsiegal@indiana.edu