education

Autism Awareness Month has Bloomington roots

April has been celebrated as Autism Awareness Month, a time to help society learn more about a condition that, for more than 40 years, has affected 1 in every 88 American children.

“The United States recognizes April as a special opportunity for everyone to educate the public about autism and issues within the autism community,” according to the Autism Society’s website.

Marci Wheeler is a social work specialist at the Indiana Institute on Disability and Community. The IU-based institute works with schools throughout the state to help them gain the resources they need for students with autism, as well as other disabilities.

The Institute provides team training for schools in which educators come to Bloomington for a six-day training course to learn how to work with children on the autism spectrum. They learn how to help these children with their social and communication skills as well as solve problems that may arise.

Wheeler said staff members visit schools on a regular basis to help solve any recurring issues. All schools that have been involved with the intensive training are also on an email listserv in order to facilitate further communication so that other schools may share various ideas and programs.

Wheeler said Creekside Middle School in Indianapolis has become a model for other schools in Indiana. The school allows other special education teachers to visit and learn how their school functions.

“They’ve become known as a model-type program for folks,” Wheeler said.

— Sydney Murray