Abell to transfer from IU

IU announced late Friday night that sophomore guard Remy Abell has decided to transfer in order to seek more playing time.

Abell, a native of Louisville, Ky. has averaged 3.5 points in 10.7 minutes of action per game during his two-year stint at IU. However, he has chosen to seek more playing opportunities at another institution.

“I am going to miss everyone,” Abell said in a press release from IU Athletics. “But I just feel at this time a fresh start and new opportunities are what is best in following God’s plan for me.”

Abell’s announcement came only two days after sophomore forward Cody Zeller declared for the 2013 NBA Draft. A day earlier, junior guard Victor Oladipo said he would leave for the NBA, as well.

IU Coach Tom Crean said in the release Abell has been an “outstanding citizen and a solid player,” but wanted to continue his college basketball career elsewhere.

“He indicated to us that he would like to look to go to a program that has a different style of play and one where he can get more playing time,” Crean said.

With Abell’s departure, IU is no longer oversigned heading into the 2013-14 season. The Hoosiers are bringing in six recruits as part of their 2013 recruiting class, which is currently ranked No. 3 in the nation by Rivals.com.

Jordan Littman