Upland, Bluebird team up for local music

entUplandBluebird Carousel

Almost every Tuesday, Upland Brewing Company sponsors a night of music at the Bluebird Nightclub. This new music feature was established only a month ago, but there has been no indication that it has plans to stop any time soon.

Dave Kubiak, owner of the Bluebird, said this event was made in an attempt to have an all-local night, complete with local music, attended by local people, drinking local beer.

“It’s always good to support local music, and you get the chance to see some up and coming talent,” Kubiak said.

Though the club’s attendance rate will usually depend on which bands are playing, around 100 people can always be expected, Kubiak said.

Each Tuesday, there’s a featured beverage from Upland, one of Bloomington’s most popular craft breweries. This week, it was the Dragonfly pints for $2. Covers range from $1-4 and usually depend on which bands the Bluebird has booked for the particular Tuesday night.

For this rate, people can be entertained without needing to spend a lot of money, Kubiak said.

“It was a combination of a promotion for Upland’s draft line as well as the fact that we wanted to get involved with things happening in our own backyard,” Upland cellarman Chris Stearly said.

Upland, celebrating their 15th anniversary this year, has their own dedicated draft line for purchase at the Bluebird.

The Bluebird showcases many bands of multiple genres including rock, metal and country music. The only qualification for Tuesday night: they have to be of a local demographic. Even IU students are welcome to contact the Bluebird for show bookings.

“Of course, I’m biased, but I believe it’s the best performance place in
Bloomington,” Kubiak said.

The bands that perform on Tuesday nights can range from beginners to veterans. This Tuesday, three Bloomington-centric bands performed: Kentucky Nightmare (bossa nova), The Sands (powerpop) and Legs  (psychobilly).

Each band had its own set of about seven songs. Kentucky Nightmare was the second band to perform, playing 11 songs from its various albums.

Kentucky Nightmare, established in 2004, plays in Bloomington about two times a month. Bernard Kincius is the band’s bassist, keyboardist and background singer.
Kincius said when the band plays in Bloomington, they feel like they’re back in the “neighborhood” again.

“It’s a great community of musicians,” Kincius said. “I feel like there are as many bands as there are musicians.”

When they aren’t in Bloomington, they travel mainly around the Midwest, with stops in the New England area.

“If you want some serious, bottom-line, capitalized rock and roll, then the Bluebird is the place for that,” Kincius said.

Kincius said  the Bluebird’s venue is one of a preferable size in order to have a successful show. 

“I feel that the way the Bluebird is set up, it’s a real rock and roll show,” Kincius said. “It doesn’t have to be a complete sell-out occasion for it to be a ton of fun for the people who are there.”

Kincius expressed his admiration for the plethora of local talent in Bloomington.

“Not only are you seeing an incredible cross-section of the of the myriad of talented musicians that are here in Bloomington, but you’re seeing it presented in one of the most capable ways possible,” Kincius said.