education

State Senate committee plans university appropriations

Higher education institutions in Indiana may be receiving an additional $42 million if the new two-year state budget is approved by the Senate. The Senate Appropriations Committee is discussing the proposed budget, which would return some of the $150 million these institutions lost under former Gov. Mitch Daniels, according to a press release from IU.

The funds appropriated to higher education institutions rose steadily between the 2003-04 and 2008-09 school years, then varied from year to year. The projected funds for institutions throughout the state for fiscal year 2014 is $1.786 billion, $84 million more than in the 2012-13 school year.

At the 2013-15 hearings before the State Budget Committee, representatives from various Indiana universities, including Purdue University, Vincennes University and Ball State University, gave presentations on their goals and needs.

Ball State outlined cuts they had received over more than the past few years: $15.3 million in 2009-11, $11.8 million in 2011-13 and a proposed $11.4 million in 2013-15.

According to their presentation, they may not benefit from this additional money. The amount the university receives in fiscal year 2014-15 could be less than what it received in 1999-00.

Vincennes University is also currently working below their 2008 financial levels.
IU is requesting $452,341,278 for fiscal year 2015. IU has also faced the challenges of student debt and less federal research funding.

Since 2006, however, IU has achieved gains in a 12.7-percent increase in enrollment from 97,959 in fall 2006 to 110,393 in fall 2012. The number of degrees awarded has also increased since 2008.

The Commission for Higher Education also organized a presentation and noted ways these universities have kept tuition low for students.

According to IU’s presentation, the University has been attempting to keep college affordable despite cuts. IU has implemented a 25-percent discount for summer tuition, on-time graduation incentive awards and a rising amount of student financial aid. $74.8 million in financial aid was awarded in 2011-12.

— Sydney Murray