crime & courts

Rape reported following group sex

A woman reported to Bloomington police Friday evening that she might have been raped after a male entered a sexual encounter between herself and a female acquaintance without permission.

The victim, 26, while at the Bloomington Police Department being investigated for a prior theft and burglary, told police she might have been raped in February, Sgt. Lucas Tate said.

Police received permission from the victim to search her cell phone for information she told police would assist in the rape investigation.

The search produced information that linked her to the theft and burglary previously being investigated, Tate said, and police arrested her.

During the sexual assault investigation, the victim told police she was at the south side residence of a female acquaintance, with whom she had consensually been engaging in sexual acts.

A man at the residence asked the acquaintance if he could participate in the acts between her and the victim, Tate said.

The acquaintance initially told the man he could not participate.

The man then asked a second time, offering the acquaintance money.

The man became involved with both women, the victim told police, and this was when the alleged rape occurred.

The woman told police she did not seek medical attention following the incident.
Although the victim was arrested in connection to the theft and burglary, BPD continues its investigation of the reported rape.

Kirsten Clark