Local artist Matt Gold looks forward to Collins concert

Most musicians aspire for a big stage. Matt Gold is looking forward to a smaller one.
Gold, a Bloomington singer-songwriter, will perform March 23 at Collins Living-Learning Center.  

Gold released the album “Drown Before You Swim” in 2012. Some songs from this album will be performed at the concert, although he said he isn’t sure of the set list.

“That came from dealing with personal relationships, break-ups, disappointments and just the fact of having to go through all that stuff to be where I am today,” Gold said.

A self-taught pianist, Gold said while he initially took lessons, he soon gave up on them altogether.

“I just kind of figured out on my own and learned the rest of it as I went along,” Gold said.

According to a quote from Bill Browning of Bilerico.com on Gold’s website, “Imagine if Rufus Wainwright joined Depeche Mode and then had a baby with Tori Amos ... Get the picture? The baby would be Matt.”

Gold focused on the work of Tori Amos and how strong of an influence she was to him. He says this is due to a strong similarity in their work.

“I am essentially doing the same thing,” he said. “I’m performing with me and my piano.”

Compared to larger venues, Gold said he preferred performing at Collins because of the private and intimate setting. He says it’s better than a big production.

“I think that leads towards the more honest performance,” he said. “It’s a better way to reach out to your fans.”  

With the concert approaching, Gold said he is excited to perform. Every performance offers him the opportunity to hear audience opinions and widen his range of listeners, he said.  

“This is what I was put on Earth to do,” he said.